Monday, July 27, 2009

To puppeh or not to puppeh?

cute pictures of puppies with captions
see more dog and puppy pictures

I have mentioned at least once here how much I want to have a dog. While there were a few years of my life that there wasn't a dog in my house growing up, they are too far back for me to remember. Over the last few weeks, many people in my life have been getting themselves adorable puppehs (or in the case of Stephanie, an adorable and extremely comical rescue) and it has reignited my pining for one of my own. The weekly-ish visits with my "parents" dog just aren't cutting it anymore.

So, Doug and I have been discussing it and have come to the decision that it might be a good time to get a dog. I currently have my eye on both a cute beagle mix puppeh or a 3 year old Westie (the breed I grew up with) girl that is being retired from breeding. However, I can't seem to commit to this decision.

What is holding me back you ask? I have no idea but one minute I am gung ho and excited about getting a dog and the next I'm worried about the cat's reaction and how it will change our routine. My good friend Sarah told me that it is as simple as one question: "Will this puppeh enhance your quality of life?" But is it that simple? And so, dear internets, I ask you to please give me both your pros and cons on this issue so I can add to my confusion. :)

4 comments:

Mary July 28, 2009 at 3:38 PM  

Adopting a dog has done nothing but improve the quality of my life. He's wonderful. In fact, now I want to foster. I had the same reservations as you (except insert birds for cat) and everything turned out fine.

Stray Rescue has a great program where you can "rent-a-pet" to see how it fits in with your family. Just an option:)

Nicole July 29, 2009 at 11:40 PM  

I LOVE MY LITTLE MAN! he is a maltese/yorkie..he is definitely our son :) We can't wait to adopt our next little one!

Rachel July 30, 2009 at 7:32 PM  

It's tough integrating a dog and a cat together. BF and I have tried with my pup and his kitties. Let me tell ya! It's an experience!! But I think the joy of having a dog is incredible! My little pup, Oscar, is like a child to me! LOL. And I'm not one of those creepy dog people. I just love him!

LC August 8, 2009 at 9:45 AM  

We went back and forth about getting a dog before we got Mia. She has completely changed our lives so quickly and I can't imagine what we would do without her. There is such a great amount of love she has brought to us...dogs are the best!

About This Blog

Random thoughts as I plan our wedding, study for the CPA exam, and live life.

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP