Monday, October 5, 2009

Priorities

I spent today home sick and pinned to our couch by two cats who with a human present to nap on could find no piece of furniture suitable to them. Therefore, while I should have used this extra time to study for my upcoming cpa exam or graduate class, I was hardly in a physical (by both definitions) position to do so. Instead I spent the day cuddling with my kitties and having a bit of a long overdue conversation with myself.

Lately I have been in a very "Hey world, I see you passing me by, but there's nothing I can do about it because I'm too busy" kind of mood. My daily routine begins with getting up for work after not getting enough sleep, working, and then coming home and either studying or falling asleep on the couch because I'm too tired to do the studying I need to be doing. I feel like I am never catching up on things that need to be done. I feel guilty when I fall asleep and should be studying or when I choose not to study and instead do something I want to do. And I'm tired of it. I've decided that I need to prioritize and simplify.

While it's still a work in progress, I think these are what I've decided to focus on:
1) Work - pretty obvious
2) The remainder of my CPA exam sections - Credit for my first passed one will only last so long, but I'm not going to rush myself either
3) Wedding planning - our countdown stands at 229 days and there are so many things left to take care of
4) Getting healthy - I haven't worked out in at least a month and let me tell you it does not feel good. My eating habits are in a similar state of disarray. I'm not necessarily concerned with losing weight but definitely getting toned and just overly more healthy.
5) And certainly not last, Doug, family and friends - I'm sick of not having enough time for them and/or feeling guilty for spending time with them instead of other commitments. There are also some people who I haven't been making time for at all and that's going to change.

And what's going to go:
1) My master's degree - The class I am currently in ends the end of this month. I will definitely be taking time off until the middle of February and am considering waiting until May or later to begin another class. I just don't feel that I need to immediately get this degree. It certainly isn't immediately necessary in my current position and it will be a while before it will be needed for me to move up. I definitely want to pursue it and I don't want to wait forever to do so, but I think a break is justified. So it's going for now.
2) The lack of a positive schedule - My current routine sucks. I want to wake up well rested. Go to work. Come home, work out and eat dinner. Followed by an hour or two of studying comprised of a specific study plan. Not studying all night and not studying whatever I can tolerate that night. Then I want to do stuff I want to do- recreational reading, tv, time with friends and family, blogging!, and working on wedding stuff. And I don't want to study and catch up on household chores all weekend either.
3) Dealing with other people's random drama that seems to be forcing itself into my life and wasting precious time that could be devoted to other things

So, what do we think? Anyone have to do something similar to get their life back under control? Anyone see something I'm missing or not thinking properly about? Thoughts, please!

0 comments:

About This Blog

Random thoughts as I plan our wedding, study for the CPA exam, and live life.

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP