Thursday, April 15, 2010

Thankful Thursday #4

This week's Thankful Thursday is sort of two parts.  I am thankful for both independently but was spurred to write this post based on the combination.

Part 1) I'm thankful that I work in an iPod friendly workplace.  First because I love music.  My dad is most definitely the reason for this, both for my love of music in general and for my love of such a wide variety of music styles.  One of our greatest bonding activities is seeing concerts.  We've seen Styx, REO Speedwagon, 38 Special, Journey, Foreigner, Kansas, Brian Culbertson, Michael Buble, Chris Botti, Kenny Chesney, some others I'm probably missing (and some boy bands too since, yes, I was a teenager in the late 90's.)  The songs on my iPod probably span all of the music genres because my dad has cultivated within me both an interest in and respect for almost all music styles.

The second reason that I'm thankful for an iPod friendly workplace is because of the escape it has given me during all these wedding related frustrations.  It's easy to say that work should be enough of a distraction, but that doesn't work for me.  I'm a thinker and those of you who know me IRL know that I will keep thinking forever, especially when it comes to problems.  The work and tunes combo, though, has been just the ticket for me to be able to escape the problems for a bit.  I get to just sit in my cube and work and listen to some great music and I've found that very relaxing.  I'm able to focus on those two things and not on the problem of the day and it is a great feeling.  Sometimes I have to resist the urge to do a little singing and dancing in my chair there in my cube, but I think it's worth the risk. :)

Part 2) One of our favorites to see, Edwin McCain, is my part two to this Thankful Thursday.  Lately, almost all of the time my iPod is set to my Edwin playlist.  It is 100% the best for my distraction/relaxation plan.  So not only did he give me the perfect father daughter dance song, but he is apparently very key in my anti-wedding stress plan as well.  If you've read my last post about him you won't be surprised and neither am I.  I'm not sure I could even begin to explain why his music is so powerful to me but I am so thankful for it, even more now that it has provided me so much relaxation lately.  Maybe this can help explain:

From his bio:
“But the highlight of what I do is playing for and connecting with the people that come out to see me live. The fans - and I hate to call them fans - the friends of music that survive the advertising campaign long enough to understand what music is truly about, and have incorporated my music into their lives to the point where it is a part of their memories and emotions - those are the ones I do it all for....  It’s not about chart positions or record sales or anything like that,” insists the man with 11 albums, a wall of platinum and gold albums that have sold in the millions, and reams of Top 10, 20 and 40 hits, “it just has to do with people coming together and sharing a moment, that's it. And that’s all I ever wanted to do. I just love that moment in the small club and bar where every single person in there has a moment where it’s silent and they get it and it’s beautiful, that moment where the music that’s coming off the stage is much more than the players and much more than the audience and something happens and you’re sitting there and your hair stands up. That’s it, man. I love it.”
I think he represents all that is good about music and what it can do for people.  We actually just saw him at The Pageant one week ago and that night was exactly what I needed.  A relaxing night of good food, great music, and awesome company in my dad.  It was a great show as always and we will never miss any show he has in St. Louis.  And my offer in my last post about him still stands of course, buy some of his stuff if you haven't heard more than "I'll Be" or "I Could Not Ask For More" and if you don't like it I'll reimburse you.  I don't expect to put any money out here because I know you'll love it.  Feel free to ask for a recommendation on which album to start with. :)

So this week let's say I'm thankful for my anti-wedding stress plan with two independent but equally important parts.  I only see it becoming increasingly more important as we get closer to wedding day.  We've been in the double digits for quite a while but now the first number is only a 3 and to say I'm terrified is an understatement!

2 comments:

K April 15, 2010 at 7:51 PM  

Glad you have something to occupy your mind. I may need an Edwin McCain CD to try out for myself. I think all women think way too much, including myself. Dad is pretty amazing too at relaxation. :D

K April 15, 2010 at 7:52 PM  

Oh... and don't be terrified!

About This Blog

Random thoughts as I plan our wedding, study for the CPA exam, and live life.

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP